Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Living In a Tent Long Term? Here's What You Need To Consider

Last year i wrote a post titled Can you live in a tent long term? and it was one of our best articles so far on this website. So today i want to delve into the topic a little bit deeper.

Most of you may not know i have lived in a tent for 1 year + at a time twice in my life. It's more than doable and very fun if you plan right.

Release the shackles of the 9 to 5 rat race and live life.

Tent camping is wonderful and long term camping is even better, the whole world is your living room.

Long Term Tent Living. Things I Recommend You Think About?

Like any camping trip you need to plan ahead. Have an idea of the country conditions you will be living in and always have contact even if small with the outside world.

A phone call at a certain time each few days or week is really handy if something goes wrong, At lest someone will know something is not right.

You also need to know if your going to be moving around from place to place. If so this will majorly impact the gear you take and the road you walk on your adventure of a life time.

Food can be hard when going solo and there is nothing i can tell you to pack that you could carry that would last you 12 months. Food is something that needs to be sourced on the road.

Your going to need to consider Raining weather, Hot Weather, repairs, mould, Security and entertainment.

Now if your a lucky person who has some land or has been given permissions on land to pitch tent and stay for as long as you like. Then lucky you, everything just got 90% easier.

You can literally just stock up on food and water & live like a king.

However, if moving around then your probably going to be stealth camping a lot. Stealth camping is something I'm going to write a post about soon. Link Here Soon!

So lets break it down some pros and cons to living in a tent long term.

Pros & Cons To Living In a Tent Long Term

Pros Cons
Freedom No Address
Cheap Living Security
Save Money Challenging With Children
Travel Very Small Space
Simple Life ?

It's honestly very hard for me to see any cons to living in a tent long term because I've done it twice i know how easy it is and how awesome it is. So cons, well, not too many.

So whats the reality of living in a tent long term?

Your going to either be fixed in one location prepped to the brim ready for the year to come. Read This post for more info

OR

Your going to be travelling, stealth camping most nights, with minimal supplies.

Probably a lightweight backpack, a sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, hammock or tarp shelter, & roll out yoga mat.

You would have your basic fire starting tools, maybe a slingshot to hunt birds for food. fishing kit if you have that option, Clothing, some long life foods in your pack such as powdered soups, or stock cubes & spices.

Knife, plate, fork. Minimal as possible your going to basically be walking for a year or as long as you go for anyway, sounds crazy but your going to be hiking my friend. The last thing you need is a pack so heavy you can't lift it.

Whats the Ideal Scenario For Living In A Tent Long Term?

Ideally you would be just out of school before embarking on your journey of grown up life Or a young family that has permissions on a property. Nothing better than raising small children in nature.

While living in a tent long term can be for anyone of any age, ideally you would want to be younger, when you get older the comforts of a caravan or RV seem much more appealing to most 🙂

Conclusion

Living in a tent long term, is really a big decision but if everything aligns right, and you plan and prepare, there's no doubt in my mind your going to have the best time of your life.

Living In a Tent Long Term? Here’s What You Need To Consider

Last year i wrote a post titled Can you live in a tent long term? and it was one of...
Read More
Living In a Tent Long Term? Here’s What You Need To Consider

The Humble Slingshot, The Perfect Survival Hunting Tool For Campers

In today's post, I want to touch on using a slingshot for small game hunting while tent camping. This post...
Read More
The Humble Slingshot, The Perfect Survival Hunting Tool For Campers

Tent Camping With A Baby Here’s 10 Ways To Make Sure Your Baby Has a Great Time!

Tent camping with a baby is something we have become quite good at as parents and as writers for Tentreport....
Read More
Tent Camping With A Baby Here’s 10 Ways To Make Sure Your Baby Has a Great Time!

The Most Practical Canvas Tent On A Budget For The Australian Camper.

The Wanderer 430 Extreme Tourer 7 person tent, is one of the most affordable well-constructed tents. fine stitching & locking...
Read More
The Most Practical Canvas Tent On A Budget For The Australian Camper.

Tent Camping In The Rain – Here’s What You Need To Know

Rain can happen and it's not always predictable. But Tent Camping In The Rain doesn't have to be the end...
Read More
Tent Camping In The Rain – Here’s What You Need To Know

Breaking News: Restrictions Lifted In South Australia, Let The Tent Camping Begin

With the South Australian government lifting the restrictions the other week. There has been an influx of camping around South...
Read More
Breaking News: Restrictions Lifted In South Australia, Let The Tent Camping Begin

Covid-19 Isolated Plan A Camping Trip.

hey welcome again just want to thank everyone for the nice comments and all the support means a lot. Well...
Read More
Covid-19 Isolated Plan A Camping Trip.

Can You Tent Camp While Pregnant or With Babies?

Is it safe to tent camp with a small baby or pregnant women? It's a question any new mother or...
Read More
Can You Tent Camp While Pregnant or With Babies?

Is Tent Camping Safe? Important Safety Concerns To Consider

I'm sure it has crossed all our minds at some point while planning a tent camping trip, Is tent camping...
Read More
Is Tent Camping Safe? Important Safety Concerns To Consider

Can you tent camp in a roadside rest area?

While traveling around Australia I always noticed the signed posted on the side of the road. Signs like Drowsy Drivers...
Read More
Can you tent camp in a roadside rest area?